[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Michael Dale dale at ucsc.edu
Tue Nov 16 11:01:35 PST 2010

On 11/16/2010 10:29 AM, Pierre-Yves KEREMBELLEC wrote:
> - multiple versions/qualities for the same content advertised using a "main" manifest file (not tied to the HTML markup because we
>   probably want this to work outside browsers)

I like what you proposed, but I think we should also support a HTML
markup based manifest. This will make the DOM structure for stream
selection parallel a dom based tag representation. This way the varius
stream can be quired in a way that's consistent with existing html5
video tag api conventions.

Also a lot of players are moving towards what could be called an "iFrame
based manifest" that encapsulates everything to do with the player
interface and its associated assets.  Having an HTML mark-up
representation would enable one less round trip to the server for quick
start playback.

--michael