[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

David R videophool at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:51:47 PST 2010

> For large content providers use of such server extensions makes a lot of sense. We also have to look at what makes more sense in the players and what makes sense for small content providers.
Actually, large content providers are far more sensitive to cost and scalability, and having servers deliver something different from what is stored on disk does not scale well.
FYI, HTTP Live Streaming uses interleaved chunks, and requires precise alignment of the audio across all bitrates.  Producing streams which can switch with no audio glitch is difficult.
David