[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:25:46 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Frank Galligan <fgalligan at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org>
>> wrote:

>> > PS: And also allows something not possible now: listen to music from
>> > video sites without having to load the video part. It's possible with
>> > RTP but the quality (on YouTube for ex) is just not there.
>>

>> I believe we are optimizing for the wrong use cases by trying to
>> provide data to the Web browser in a non-interleaved manner. I would
>> not put that functionality into the adaptive HTTP streaming layer, but
>> into other technologies.
>>
>> Firstly, providing different language audio tracks to the Web browser
>> for a video can be handled at the markup level. There is work in
>> progress on this anyway because we will see video descriptions and
>> sign language video that will need to be delivered on demand in
>> parallel to the main video. I would prefer we do not try to solve this
>> problem through adaptive HTTP streaming - it seems to wrong layer to
>> get this sorted.
>
> I think this is fine. For this to work clients will have to
> take synchronized separate streams and render them at correct times. I don't
> see how this is different than rendering one video and one audio that came
> from separate streams. It shouldn't matter if the streams are referenced
> from a manifest or from the markup.

OK, it seems that at least two browser venders would be ok with
interleaving tracks retrieved through separate HTTP connections for
synchronized playback.

Would it be preferable to have all such multitrack needs for distinct
resources be solved through a manifest file - preferable over a
specification in HTML? And would it be possible then to also use that
with files coming from different servers?

I am concretely thinking about a video resource for which an audio
description exists on a different server and some Web developer wants
to publish it on a Web page in such a way that the browser will play
back the audio description in sync with the video. If we take this
away from the HTML, we may at least need a JavaScript API to
schedule/unschedule an external resource with a media resource for
playback.

Silvia.