[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:07:47 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm at netflix.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Chris Pearce wrote:

>>> We have to be careful where we take that statement. Just because the
>>> large content owners don't want to do physical chunks and want to keep
>>> audio and video tracks separate doesn't mean we have to do that over
>>> the network or use chunks in the manifest file.
>>
>> There's not much point in designing a technology which the content
>> providers won't want to use.
>>
>>> There is always the
>>> possibility to have something different on disk than what is being
>>> sent over the network.
>>
>> That requires custom servers, which isn't ideal. Anything we do should
>> work with current infrastructure if possible.
>>
>>>  For large content providers use of such server
>>> extensions makes a lot of sense.
>
> Not really - there is tremendous advantage even for large content providers to be able to use the same infrastructure to scale the service as is already deployed for the web - namely standard web servers and caches as already deployed in the CDNs. Restricting server extensions to the origin servers is an option, but then you lose cache efficiency, since when the server prepares the same data in two different ways for two users it gets cached twice.

Maybe then I misunderstood an earlier discussion. I was under the
impression that it is not possible for a large content provider to
prepare millions of small files on the server to do Apple's HTTP live
streaming - so instead there is a server extension that provides the
chunking functionality on the fly. Is that not correct?

Silvia.