[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:43:36 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Chris Pearce <chris at pearce.org.nz> wrote:
> On 16/11/2010 12:19 p.m., Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Chris Pearce<chris at pearce.org.nz>  wrote:
>>> The earlier consensus from most of the content providers was the non
>>> interleaved was easier to manage, particularly at large scale when you
>>> have a number of different bitrate streams, and a number of different
>>> audio tracks.
>> We have to be careful where we take that statement. Just because the
>> large content owners don't want to do physical chunks and want to keep
>> audio and video tracks separate doesn't mean we have to do that over
>> the network or use chunks in the manifest file.
>
> There's not much point in designing a technology which the content
> providers won't want to use.
>
>> There is always the
>> possibility to have something different on disk than what is being
>> sent over the network.
>
> That requires custom servers, which isn't ideal. Anything we do should
> work with current infrastructure if possible.
>
>>   For large content providers use of such server
>> extensions makes a lot of sense. We also have to look at what makes
>> more sense in the players and what makes sense for small content
>> providers.
>
> Granted, but whichever way we do it, chunks or non-interleaved, users
> will still need to split up their files using some yet to be developed
> tool(s). Whether that tool chunks or de-interleaves or whatever, it
> probably won't bother the small players how it works.

I was more concerned that chunked files are easier to decode and
manage over the network. If you think it won't be a problem from a
browser implementer's POV, then that's fine. I have thus far only
heard from browser vendors that synchronizing independent streams is
really hard and they won't do that at any time in the near future.
Even Apple who already have a working implementation of adaptive HTTP
streaming, were reluctant to do any synchronisation of separate
resources in the browser. So, maybe you are saying it's now time to
take that step?

Cheers,
Silvia.