[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Mon Nov 8 13:29:46 PST 2010

On 9/11/2010 3:39 a.m., Jeroen Wijering wrote:

> I'd also like to propose to re-enstate the videoElement.PROGRESS event along with its "total" and "loaded" values. What do people from Opera/Firefox think of this?

Status-type data is best off not being sent in events, as it could be
stale or invalid by the time it gets through the event system to its
handler. This would be better off as a attribute on the media element.
Then you're guaranteed that when you access it the loaded amount is up
to date.

Eventually we may be downloading multiple connections in parallel (for
example to request segments of the media we're about to switch to). What
would the loaded/total attributes report when there are multiple
simultaneous downloads? In your appendVideo() proposal, would the total
attribute be the sum of the size of all appended chunks?

Chris P.