[foms] Chunked/adaptative streaming at Dailymotion

David R videophool at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 3 15:51:30 PDT 2010

Thank you for the excellent summary of your work.  On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:49:28, Pierre-Yves Kerembellec wrote:> it would just be a tremendous task to move those peta-bytes around, not to mention splitting them into billions ofsmall files!
And the petabytes of data in billions of files would overwhelm any CDN provider, and make caching near impossible.  This is why we use virtual chunking on unmuxed A/V streams.  We minimize the asset footprint, and use simple HTTP range requests.  Our streaming model scales well on any CDN.> This is why the origin streaming server is taking care of re-muxing original video files on the flyIt is an elegant solution, but I am wondering about cost and scalability.  What does your peak load look like?  Our streaming video (mostly adaptive, 1 hr average duration), drives ~20% of peak US internet traffic, and I can not imagine that this model could scale to meet our load.
David