[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 16:19:45 PDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:19 PM, David R <videophool at hotmail.com> wrote:
> RE: It's very useful here in Australia with the delays and fluctuations in
> bandwidth that we get
> Adaptive streaming has two primary goals: fast startup time, and
> minimal interruptions, and the model is to vary the video bitrate to smooth
> bandwidth fluctuations.  If you want to have a large buffer and long
> buffering times so that you can watch high-quality (high bitrate) video
> regardless of available bandwidth, then you do not need adaptive streaming,
> since you have this functionality with the current generation of YouTube.

Yes, sure. I was merely referring to the need to support both models
in a HTML5-only future with adaptive streaming. If we made adaptive
streaming work such that it is impossible to make the video continue
downloading for later viewing at high quality, that would be
counter-productive. Maybe there's a need for a small control in the
video interface to allow the user to tell the browser to buffer the
full video at full quality?

Cheers,
Silvia.