[foms] Proposal: adaptive streaming using open codecs

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 1 15:36:30 PDT 2010

On 10/29/2010 5:59 AM, Jeroen Wijering wrote:
> Isn't there a way to detect this in javascript, like in ationscript with Event.ACTIVATE? Next, the frames that get dropped b/c the video is not in focus are not counted.

One of the reasons why we've got our own pipeline in Firefox was so that
we could do optimizations like this.  Basically if the video is obscured
there's no reason to run the video decoder.  Could save a lot of CPU &
battery for a lot of use cases.

> Perhaps even better to pause video when it's in a background tab. Moreover, perhaps user-agents should enforce this ...

We would LOVE to be able to enforce this.  :)

--Chris