[Flac] Way to decode specific channel(s) flac --decode?

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Wed Oct 1 15:20:14 PDT 2014

Martijn van Beurden wrote:
> No, there is not. To make sure the encoding and decoding
> processes are lossless, there are no switches like these. You
> will have to use another program, like SoX, to do this.

I was not aware this behavior was considered lossy and I didn't know
that only lossless encoding and decoding was a goal. Specifically, I
thought extracting only some channels from a FLAC file would be okay to
expect flac to do given the other lossy encoding and decoding options
already in flac such as --skip (to skip over samples) and --until (for
stopping at a given sample) which each allow extracting only some
samples, and --apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless. None of these
options are marked as deprecated in the documentation and two of them
aren't marked as lossy.