[Flac] metaflac --no-utf8-convert complains about UTF

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Sun Dec 7 02:43:43 PST 2014

On Dec 06 12:33:35, martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org wrote:
> METADATA_BLOCK_VORBIS_COMMENT is defined at:
> https://xiph.org/flac/format.html#metadata_block_vorbis_comment
> and VorbisComments at:
> http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html
>
> Note that a VorbisComment is defined as
> being UTF-8, although metaflac  --no-utf8-convert
> doesn't seem to be behaving as advertised.

Reading the above links, the Vorbis Comment is defined to be UTF8.
What is the purpose of --no-utf8-convert in setting tags then?
To specifically ask for invalid files?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the meaning of --no-utf8-convert.
Perhaps the current behaviour is intended, and --no-utf8-convert
just means "don't bother converting, it is already UTF8".
Which my example isn't, and metaflac rightfully complains.

Can anybody please shed some light on this?

On Dec 06 13:55:16, martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org wrote:
> Even better, he could submit a bug report at:
>     http://sourceforge.net/p/flac/bugs/

Yes, I will move this to flac-dev and file a proper bug report
once I am sure it is a bug, and it's the bug I think it is.

BTW, the other Xiph projects track their issues at https://trac.xiph.org/
- is it intentional that FLAC uses the sourceforge bug tracker?
Is there any relation between the two?

	Jan