[Flac] metaflac --no-utf8-convert complains about UTF

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Dec 6 11:33:35 PST 2014

Brian Willoughby wrote:

> Jan Stary wrote:
>>> This is 1.3.1 on OpenBSD/amd64.
>>> The --no-utf8-convert option of metaflac(1) does not work for me:
>> The problem seems to be in
>> src/metaflac/operations_shorthand_vorbiscomment.c
>> in the set_vc_field() function.

> By the way, I've never used FLAC inside Ogg Vorbis.
> Instead, I use pure FLAC format files. Is there any
> difference between the way this option works on a
> straight FLAC file versus how it works on FLAC data
> in an Ogg Vorbis container?

Some confusion seems to be creeping in, here.
Jan's problem, as I understand it, is with the
METADATA_BLOCK_VORBIS_COMMENT in
a Native FLAC file.  (No OggFLAC, Ogg being
the container, and no Vorbis, a lossy codec.)

METADATA_BLOCK_VORBIS_COMMENT is
defined at:
https://xiph.org/flac/format.html#metadata_block_vorbis_comment

and VorbisComments at:
http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

Note that a VorbisComment is defined as
being UTF-8, although metaflac  --no-utf8-convert
doesn't seem to be behaving as advertised.

Finally, Jan might have more luck taking his
problem with metatflac over to the flac-dev list.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org