[Flac] metaflac --no-utf8-convert complains about UTF

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Fri Dec 5 23:52:15 PST 2014

On Dec 05 21:50:47, brianw at audiobanshee.com wrote:
> I assume the problem is that metaflac has no way of knowing the encoding that was provided on the command line, since it could literally be anything. The --no-utf8-convert option means that metaflac does nothing to the letters as they pass through,

That's what is supposed to do, but doesn't, apparently.

> and then the problem becomes that the next program to read the tags
> has to assume the character set without any information.
> If the program reading the tags gets the character set wrong,
> then you see garbage.

Nevermind the next program, the problem now is that
metaflac does not honor the --no-utf8-convert option.

> Or, to put it another way, isn't the assumption that all tags
> in a FLAC file are UTF-8? Thus, if you provide LATIN2 and don't
> allow metaflac to convert, then it's sure to be garbage.

No. It's sure to be exactly what the user provided,
n my case LATIN2, if metaflac honors the --no-utf8-convert option.

> I don't actually know whether this option is supposed to work on input,
> output, or both.

The manpage says:

      --no-utf8-convert
	Do not convert tags from UTF-8 to local charset, or vice versa.
	This is useful for scripts, and setting tags in situations
	where the locale is wrong.

"vice versa" tells me it's supposed to work for both input and output.
"setting tags" tells me it's deffinitely for input.