[Flac] Fixing corrupt flac files

Knut Krause knut.krause at lagom.de
Thu Jan 10 07:34:30 PST 2013

Hi,

since years I simply encoded my CDs using various tools to flac and simply
listened to it and never had any problems.

Today I wrote a little script though to add replaygain values to my music
collection and I found out that a lot of my flac files are corrupt.

The corruption almost always occurs in the last 10% like

flac 1.2.1, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007  Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for details.

01 Overture.flac: testing, 96% complete

01 Overture.flac: ERROR while decoding data
                  state = FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_END_OF_STREAM

Is there a way to fix this? I tested decoding the file with -F and then
reencoding it with flac. This seems to lead to an error free version but is
this the way to go?

Regards

Knut