[Flac] uncompressed FLAC

Mike. the.lists at mgm51.com
Mon Mar 12 08:09:09 PDT 2012

On 3/11/2012 at 1:35 PM Gregory Maxwell wrote:

|On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Mike. <the.lists at mgm51.com> wrote:
|> Some people feel that the
|> extra CPU power required to de-compress a FLAC file causes the
timing
|> issues in the audio samples going to the DAC.
|
|This isn't something you have to "feel", it's something you could
|_measure_— far more precisely than anyone could hope to hear.

[snip]
 =============

I agree.   Much of the FLAC vs. WAV discussion is based upon nebulous
"feelings", even when it is possible to get hard measurements.

Another that I like was in The Absolute Sound magazine.   Starting with
a WAV file, it was converted to FLAC, then back to WAV, then to FLAC,
then back to WAV.     The author noted that each subsequent WAV file
"sounded" worse than the previous one.

It is possible to look at the actual audio data in those WAV files and
see if it stays identical during the conversions (and if it doesn't
stay identical, then there is a bug in some software).   But the
magazine did not do that.  They went completely by what they heard,
knowing what they were listening to.

imo, they *wanted* FLAC to have problems, and that is what they heard.

(note that I snipped a large part of your reply.  I mostly agree with
what I snipped, with a few counterpoints.)