[Flac] uncompressed FLAC

Mike. the.lists at mgm51.com
Sun Mar 11 09:27:04 PDT 2012

On 3/10/2012 at 11:18 PM yahoo2 at rcn.com wrote:

|FLAC uncompressed is just rather a dumb idea (IMHO) because all you
end
|up wityh is a file that is rather large and will be larger then the
|original WAV because of the FLAC container and metadata. Why would you
|want FLAC uncompressed when compressed FLAC will not sound any
different
|because it isn't different. It's exactly the same bits. So why not
just go
|for FLAC level 8 and be done with it?
 =============

There are two things that need to be understood.   You mention one of
them - the bits in a FLAC file are identical, i.e., it is a lossless
compression mechanism.

The other thing has little to do with the FLAC file directly, but
rather the processing of the FLAC file.  Some people feel that the
extra CPU power required to de-compress a FLAC file causes the timing
issues in the audio samples going to the DAC.  Some DACs will reclock
the incoming audio stream, but many do not.  So when the timing between
the samples varies due to CPU loading, it may produce audible
differences.  I suspect this is why some "audiophiles" have their
knickers in a twist.  They don't hear the FLAC file, but rather the
inability of the computer to properly process the FLAC file in the time
domain.  As a result, the FLAC format is being blamed for weakness
inherent in their computer hardware, and possibly software as well.

Just my two cents....