[Flac] uncompressed FLAC

Mike. the.lists at mgm51.com
Sat Mar 10 06:58:32 PST 2012

On 3/9/2012 at 3:56 PM Vladimiro Macedo wrote:

|What dbPowerAmp does is encapsulate the wav file into a FLAC container

|without actually compressing it. I guess it can be a bit arguable if
you
|can technically call it a FLAC file :)
|It's like using "Store" mode in RAR, for instance. The idea behing
this
|"uncompressed FLAC" is to give the FLAC tagging abilities to people
who
|don't want to compress their files. But as WAV is lacking in the tags
|department (some workarounds, but most players are not compatible with

|those), dbPowerAmp uses the FLAC structure and inputs the uncompressed

|data inside.
|As far as I understood from the webpage, that's it. I don't think that

|option is available with the command-line flac. I think dbPowerAmp
(and
|this is me purely speculating, mind you) manually builds the file by
|adding a FLAC header where the tags can be stored and then inserts the

|uncompressed wav in the data field of the file or something
equivalent.

 =============

The Absolute Sound magazine is running a four-part series debating and
"measuring" whether there is an audible difference between WAV and FLAC
playback.

imo, it looks like the purpose of the series is to denigrate FLAC.
Nothing more, nothing less.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tas/

34 Computer Audio Quality Part 3
DR. CHARLES ZEILIG AND JAY CLAWSON CONTINUE THEIR GROUNDBREAKING
ATTEMPT TO EVALUATE AND QUANTIFY EVERY SONIC VARIABLE IN COMPUTER
AUDIO. PART THREE OF THIS FOUR-PART SERIES EXPLORES WHETHER FLAC IS
REALLY SONICALLY TRANSPARENT.