[Flac] flac -- exhaustive model search vs. -A <*>?

Linda Walsh flac at tlinx.org
Fri Jun 22 02:47:59 PDT 2012

Martin Leese wrote:
> Linda Walsh <flac at tlinx.org> wrote:
>
>>     That brings up another question then... What is 'hi' (v. low?)...
>>

> Zero, or close to zero, is low.  12 is high.

----
They mention 32 as a top end, so maybe 12 isn't that slow?
I'm got encode times around 30-45 seconds on a 2 CPU machine,
which has fallen to about 10 secs/album on my current server @2.7Ghz
using ~1080% cpu...

> Despite the title of -M, -m the one that is
> exhaustive.  This is stated at:
> http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tools_flac.html#flac_options_adaptive_mid_side

The documentation is so clear on music optimization progs...(Lame is
about the same).  Most people still think 320CBR is the best, though the
authors have stated it is no better than -V0 and just wastes bits.