[Flac] Is FLAC hardware independent?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon May 23 11:31:43 PDT 2011

FLAC is a format which guarantees lossless data preservation.  FLAC
does not guarantee a specific or consistent compression ratio.  If
you are looking for a guarantee that the compression ratio is
repeatable, then you are looking in the wrong place.

While it is probably true that the same executable will produce the
same FLAC file from the same source file on different PCs, I'm not
sure there isn't any run-time variation based on processor type.

A better approach for you would be to modify your expectation to be
that the compression ratios fall into a range of values, rather than
expect them to be precise.  Keep in mind that FLAC is focused on
guaranteeing that the final uncompressed audio samples precisely
match the original audio samples, while secondary concerns such as
the intermediate compression ratio are not guaranteed at all.  You
might be able to find repeatable experiments, but it does not change
the fact that FLAC does not have a pre-defined compression ratio.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting