[Flac] Is FLAC hardware independent?

Nicholas Wilson nicholas at nicholaswilson.me.uk
Tue May 17 14:50:49 PDT 2011

Dear Fernando,

The flac codec is not independent of anything—the format doesn't
specify what the output file must be, just what it could be. The
encoder is free to pick better or worse interpolations as long as it
stores the residuals and outputs it all in a properly formatted
container. If you run the same encoder ported to different
architectures, then the same software will output the same encoded
file, but the crucial thing is that on any architecture, with any
conforming implementation, the audio will decode to exactly match the
original. The intervening stages are uniquely determined, but the
whole process is certainly independent of everything (except software
or hardware bugs!).

Nicholas

-----
Nicholas Wilson: nicholas at nicholaswilson.me.uk (ncw33)
Site and blog: www.nicholaswilson.me.uk
Peterhouse, CB2 1RD • 86 Heath Road, GU31 4EL