[Flac] Is FLAC hardware independent?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon May 16 14:40:52 PDT 2011

Which "output file" are you referring to?  Also, your question is
incompletely specified, because you do not qualify whether the input
is the same when you expect the output to be the same.

When uncompressing, the final results are lossless, therefore it is
hardware independent when you consider the total process.

When compressing, the results depend upon the implementation.  In
this respect, the intermediate output file is both hardware dependent
and version dependent.  In other words, you can get a different
output file size even on the same hardware.

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here, by trying to fit FLAC into
the same criterion as lossy formats.  Lossless formats do not have a
fixed rate, nor do they have a fixed compression ratio.  Lossy
formats throw away information in order to achieve a desired rate or
ratio, but lossless formats cannot throw away information and
therefore cannot reach the same goal every time.  Results vary
greatly depending upon the input material and the implementation,
which varies by version and hardware.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting