[Flac] 24 bit question

scott brown scottcbrown at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 14:53:28 PST 2010

original 24/48 wav file: 264,904,968 bytes
flac level 8: 105,992,780 bytes

dithered 16/48 wav file:173,885,996 bytes
flac level 8: 108,700,948 bytes

truncated 16/48 wav file: 173,885,996 bytes
flac level 8: 105,224,448 bytes

RMS level of original 24 bit: -15.3dB with peaks at -0.3dB

if I normalize the original file to a max of 0.0, the resulting flac file is
192,798,482 bytes. weird....

Scott