[Flac] Build FLAC source on Mac OS X without Xcode?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Wed Mar 25 19:10:34 PDT 2009

Ok, what follows is a successful build of FLAC on Tiger 10.4.11 from
the downloaded source "the Unix way":

mkdir test
cd test
gnutar zxf ../flac-1.2.1.tar.gz
cd flac-1.2.1
./configure
make

I just ran everything but install, and it works without any
modification to the sources.  In your case, you seem to be having
trouble with the libOgg library.  Please tell me that you didn't
literally type /path/to/libogg/prefix, because you're supposed to
modify that to be an actual path that exists.

I have libOgg installed, but I don't think that I had to do anything
special besides make install on the ogg project before FLAC.  I
believe that the FLAC configure finds Ogg automatically.  In other
words, the convoluted command line from your original mail is
probably the source of your problems.

Try breaking the process down into individual commands instead of
attempting everything at once.

Brian

P.S.  This should probably continue on FLAC-Dev at Xiph.org, just so we
don't frighten (or bore) the non-programmers.

On Mar 25, 2009, at 13:01, - - wrote:
> CC: flac at xiph.org
> From: brianw at sounds.wa.com
> Subject: Re: [Flac] Build FLAC source on Mac OS X without Xcode?
> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:33:36 -0700
> To: jensiragh at hotmail.de
>
> I don't have time to look through error codes, but I can tell you
> that I have always compiled FLAC the Unix way, via the command line.
> I have not tried under Leopard, because for maximum compatibility
> it's better to compile under Tiger. Either something is wrong with
> your particular setup, or perhaps Leopard has changed some things
> which has broken FLAC. If you have Tiger available, then give that a
> try. Make sure the developer tools are installed.
>
> Brian

Thanks Brian for your answer. Unfortunately it does not help me
though: I have of course installed the developer tools (I would not
have gotten this far otherwise *g*) but do not have Tiger available.
My Leopard setup is nothing special: regular 10.5.6 with developer
tools added.

Jens