[Flac] flac test mode is very useful

Dat Head dathead2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 12:57:59 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Casey McGinty<casey.mcginty at gmail.com> wrote:
> If md5sum --check did not return an error with a truncated file, then the
> file was likely broken to start with. I think the chances of a corrupted
> file generating the same md5sum is close enough to 0 that you will never see
> it in a life time.

I mis-spoke, sorry, what md5check does is what i'll call a quick
check via metaflac --show-md5sum and then compares that to a
previously stored ffp text file

then it also calls flac -t which i'll call the extended check

where i mis-spoke is it does not use md5sum --check (because that
doesn't work on ffp files)

> Also, you lost me on storing the md5sum value at the begging and the end?

the quick check succeeds if the file has been truncated after the
ffp.txt has been generated (when the file was still good) because
the internal md5sum must be stored at the beginning of the file
and is still retrieved ok by --show-md5sum

so i was thinking that
if it were stored at beg and end that would fix that but any other
corruption could happen anywhere in middle and it would still be
an issue - so using --test every time to make sure is the best way
to go