[Flac] Any idea why Sound Devices 744T stops at 96 kHz FLAC?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Sun Mar 16 02:17:45 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

I'm looking for equipment that I can use to record at 192 kHz in the
field, powered by batteries.  During my search, I've come across the
Sound Devices 7-Series Recorders.  The 744T supports recording to
FLAC, but only at 96 kHz, not any of the higher rates that it
supports up to 192 kHz (or even 200 kHz).  Does anyone have an idea
why?  My hunch is that since this thing can record 4 tracks at 192
kHz, then maybe the on-board processor cannot run the FLAC encoder
fast enough to keep up with the data.

Hopefully this is something they can fix with a firmware upgrade.
But if it is a CPU speed issue, then I guess there's no way to
improve it without a hardware design change.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

P.S.  I think the Sound Devices 744T should be on the flac home page!