[Flac] FLAC: compressing data

Nicholas Wilson nicholas.c.wilson at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 3 11:54:05 PDT 2007

On Mon 3 Sep 4:04 pm Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> I think what you are looking for is 7z.  Its LZMA compression can
> compress files more than any other format.  Install 7-zip.

7-zip is good, but it cannot compress more than any other format: a general
purpose algorithm like this is good for most things, but if you know
something about the distribution of the input, you will probably achieve
better results using a more specific algorithm (this is why things like flac
exist).

A quick test of 7z on music gave 77% of the original size, and flac was 49%.
This was a very bad study, but you get the idea.  An algorithm good at
picking up repeated patterns does well on text, while ones like jpeg are
based on wavelets, and flac is an advanced delta compression system.  All
successful systems treat the input as more than just random data.

Nicholas