[Flac] FLAC: compressing data

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 08:04:36 PDT 2007

On 9/3/07, Harry Sack <tranzedude at gmail.com> wrote:
> can the flac encoder be used to compress non-wave data?

It's actually PCM, not "wave data".  I think you need to read on PCM
on Wikipedia to understand that no, it's not possible.

> So suppose I rename
> a data file to *.wav, can i compress it then using the flac encoder to make
> it smaller?
> just wondering if this is possible

No, it's not possible.  That's actually very silly.  File extensions
are not an important thing outside the Windows world.  Most
applications read some initial data of a file and know what it
actually is.  In this case, the encoder would understand it would not
be dealing with PCM data and not even try to attempt doing such a
silly thing.

I think what you are looking for is 7z.  Its LZMA compression can
compress files more than any other format.  Install 7-zip.

-Ivo