[Flac] Re: Welcome to the "Flac" mailing list

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Fri Nov 2 15:07:48 PDT 2007

That's a handy command, but I'm certain it won't work 100% for the
file in question.  The chunks in that bad file claim the extra two
bytes are part of the file, so a wav format parser could come up
short.  You have to edit existing data in the file in two places
before shortening the file - truncating the file is not enough by
itself.

The real problem is that the file was stereo, but had an odd number
of samples.  When FLAC complains about a "partial sample" it means
there is a left channel sample without a right channel sample to go
with it - a better term might be "partial frame" if you define a
sample frame as a group of samples for every channel.  The fixed file
created by SoundForge either dropped the last sample from the left
channel, or added a zero sample to complete the right channel.

The long explanation that I gave yesterday, although accurate in
itself, did not precisely apply to the bad file in question.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting