[Flac] flac filesize limitation

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon May 14 18:28:54 PDT 2007

On May 14, 2007, at 11:27, Harry Sack wrote:
> 2007/5/14, Brian Willoughby <brianw at sounds.wa.com>:
> On May 13, 2007, at 05:45, Harry Sack wrote:
> > If I encode 192 kHz sound @ 24 bit for some days (WAV file) and I
> > encode it to FLAC, I think you can have a very big file and 1.5 TB
> > is reached very quickly.
> > And in the future audio will even get bigger, when used for HD-DVD
> > en Blu-ray media and 5.1 channels is considered the 'minimum'
> > setting for surround sound.
>
> Don't forget that the WAV file is going to stop recording at the 4GB
> mark (2GB if the recording software is not carefully written).  You
> would need to record directly to FLAC if you want more than 4GB of
> audio, and you'll need an operating system which can handle files
> larger than that.
>
> any modern  *NIX  OS can do this :)
> A 4 GB file is not a weird thing: I save blu-ray images on my HDD
> which are +/- 50 GB in filesize :)

Sure, but they're not WAV.  WAV is limited to 4GB everywhere.
I was merely pointing out the detail that you can't encode to WAV and
then encode to FLAC because WAV is more limited in duration.

> The FLAC library allows developers to create
> recording software which saves audio data directly to FLAC files
> without going first to another, more limited format.  You may think
> that 1.5 TB is reach very quickly, but in practice there are not any
> programs which can support this.
>
> you can write of course your own simple program to do this. It's
> not because an existing program doesn't support it, it's
> impossible. And of course in the near future programs will be able
> to work with files as big as 1 TB and even bigger. And that was
> exactly the thing I was talking about :)

Sorry, my wording was bad.  Change "can" to "currently"
i.e. in practice there are not any programs which currently support
this.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting