[Flac] Encoding and Compression --- where is the nitpick?

Matthias Berndt berndt.matthias at gmx.de
Sun Mar 18 10:35:41 PDT 2007

Greetings,

I'm playing aroung with the library and try to encode some PCM samples
out of a WAVE file.

I recognized that my own encoding is bigger than the encoding with the
command line tool and I can't figure out why it is so. I tried some API
functions to get a better result but I missed.

minimal test code:
http://stinfwww.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~mai02cal/test.c

example wav:
http://stinfwww.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~mai02cal/test.wav

FLAC generated by the minimal test code:
http://stinfwww.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~mai02cal/a.flac

and the analysis file:
http://stinfwww.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~mai02cal/a.ana

FLAC generated by the command line tool:
$ flac test.w -o b.flac
http://stinfwww.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~mai02cal/b.flac

and the analysis file:
http://stinfwww.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~mai02cal/b.ana

I think it may depend on the blocksize in both FLAC files (1152 vs 4096)
but I can't --- or better I'm not able --- to modify the blocksize with
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_blocksize().

I'm using the 1.1.4. How can I generate a better result (the same result
as the command line tool)? How can I maximize the compression ratio ---
what are the tricks?

Thank you
Matthias Berndt

PS: ... and thank you for the probably best archiving format for music.