[Flac] 24-bit FLAC Files

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 22:16:24 PDT 2007

--- cabbit records <cabbitrecords at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, we're a small label in Honolulu, Hawaii, starting up, offering
> FLAC
> downloads of live performances of local artists, and we're wondering
> how is
> the support for 24-bit FLAC files?  Our concern is that would it be
> too
> difficult for users to burn 24-bit FLAC recordings to CD?  Are there
> any
> simple tools that convert 24-bit FLAC to 16-bit FLAC, or burning
> applications that transparently do the conversion when you burn a
> disc?

FLAC the format supports 24-bit.  there are some problem samples
(e.g. audio with a lot of noise) that will currently result in
suboptimal compression but a fix for that will be out soon.

not sure about conversion, but there are some hardware players that
support 24-bit playback (squeezebox, transporter) and probably a lot
of software ones.

http://www.linnrecords.com/ among others sell 24-bit FLACs already.

Josh