[Flac] 24-bit FLAC Files

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Wed Jun 27 16:12:18 PDT 2007

FLAC supports 24-bit recordings of live performances quite well -
it's what I use FLAC for mostly.

Programs like WaveBurner, which ships with Apple's Logic Pro, allow
for on-the-fly sample-rate-conversion and dithering for bit-depth
reduction.  But with many other burning programs, the process will
not be so easy and automatic.  I believe there are command-line
tools, perhaps freely available, which will handle dithering from 24-
bit to 16-bit.

I hesitate to answer your question with another question, but is any
software available for burning DVD-Audio discs?  Users could burn 24-
bit files directly to a 24-bit format supported by audiophile
players, if this were the case.  Alas, I believe the only existing
tools have steep licensing fees, and are not geared towards easy use
by novices.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting