[Flac] metaflac

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 14:56:25 PDT 2007

--- Christopher Brown <c-b at asu.edu> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am writing an audio player that exclusively plays FLAC sound files,
> with CUE sheets. It is written in Python, so it is cross-platform,
> and
> it is working very well so far. The soundfile IO is handled by the
> Audiere library. For metadata (aside from the CUE sheet), I make
> system
> calls to metaflac to do things like extract album art for display,
> and I have a question concerning metaflac.
>
> Is there a way to check for the existence of a tag before retrieving
> it?
> When I try to get an image from a FLAC file, if it does not exist,
> FLAC
> returns an error. This is really not a big deal, because my program
> runs fine through the error, but it does show up in my programs
> output,
> and anyway it seems like the more proper way to do it is to first
> check
> to see if the tag is present before retrieving it. Not really a big
> deal, I just wanted to know if I overlooked something, because I
> don't see how to do it.

not sure I understand... is the image in a tag?  if you do
"metaflac --show-tag=TAG" and TAG does not exist, metaflac
prints nothing and the exit code is 0.  if it does, it prints
the matching tags and the exit code is 0.  so how are you
getting the error?

images are now supposed to be stored in the dedicated PICTURE
block and that should be accessed via libFLAC

http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#metadata_block_picture
http://flac.sourceforge.net/api/group__flac__metadata__level0.html#ga3

you can check for the existence of a PICTURE block with
"metaflac --list |grep ..." or with libFLAC using the metadata
iterators.

Josh