[Flac] FLAC: general question

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Wed Jul 25 11:50:25 PDT 2007

Harry,

Another thing to consider is the balance between CPU efficiency and
disk speed.  On some of my systems, decoding a FLAC file to AIFF (or
WAV) uses 100% of the CPU.  That's because the drive is faster than
the CPU, so the CPU is constantly working.  Moving to a 4-processor
system, I can run 4 FLAC decodes at the same time.  At first, that
would not use 400% (100% of all 4 CPUs) because the disk was not fast
enough to read 4 files and write 4 files at once.  But as soon as I
upgraded to a faster drive on a faster bus, I am back to 400% CPU
usage when decoding.

I use FLAC to back up original multi-track recordings.  Then I burn
the FLAC files to CD-R or DVD-R.  Whenever a client needs the
originals for a mixing session, I have to pull all the FLAC files
from optical media and decode them, since nearly all mixing software
uses AIFF (even the ones that allow FLAC will convert the files from
FLAC to something else on disk).  In order to respond to the client
as fast as possible, I want to decode the FLAC files as fast as
possible, so I have experimented with faster machines and faster drives.

In other words, I'm not sure that you can make any solid conclusions
from a comparison table, even if you could find one, because it would
always be possible to recompile flac, or upgrade the CPU, or upgrade
the disk, or add additional disks to spread the load.  There is no
single answer to your question.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting