[Flac] FLAC: general question

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Wed Jul 25 11:37:05 PDT 2007

Harry,

Keep in mind that the processor load will be different for every
processor model.  PowerPC G4, G5, and then all the implementations of
x86.  Processor load does not depend upon clock speed - all that
clock speed determines is how fast the operation can be done, and
particularly whether it can be done in real time.  Back to your
question: The CPU load will be determined by the efficiency of the
instruction set for the processor running the program, as well as how
well the compiler maps the C source to those instructions.  Any
comparison table you might find could be irrelevant if your processor
model was not tested, and if the compiler options are changed when
you build FLAC, then that might change the efficiency as well.

I point this out because FLAC is not always going to be "better" or
"worse" than other formats.  We're talking about several moving
targets here, all of which influence each other.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

On Jul 25, 2007, at 11:21, Harry Sack wrote:

2007/7/24, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com>:
On 7/24/07, Greg M. <contrabassboy at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > Ivo, Harry is asking about CPU usage of the DEcoder,
 > not the ENcoder.

Sorry, my bad.

I believe that FLAC's decoding is somewhat faster than most other
lossless formats, as FLAC is a much less complex format.

Maybe somebody knows some comparison tables with some measured values
like the ones available for encoding times?
(so now I'm looking for the decoding CPU power loads)

thx