[Flac] metaflac

Christopher Brown c-b at asu.edu
Mon Jul 16 15:14:10 PDT 2007

Hi List,

I am writing an audio player that exclusively plays FLAC sound files,
with CUE sheets. It is written in Python, so it is cross-platform, and
it is working very well so far. The soundfile IO is handled by the
Audiere library. For metadata (aside from the CUE sheet), I make system
calls to metaflac to do things like extract album art for display, and I
have a question concerning metaflac.

Is there a way to check for the existence of a tag before retrieving it?
When I try to get an image from a FLAC file, if it does not exist, FLAC
returns an error. This is really not a big deal, because  my program
runs fine through the error, but it does show up in my programs output,
and anyway it seems like the more proper way to do it is to first check
to see if the tag is present before retrieving it. Not really a big
deal, I just wanted to know if I overlooked something, because I don't
see how to do it.

--
Chris