[Flac] FLAC: command line output

Harry Sack tranzedude at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:37:52 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm using the FLAC command line tool to encode my WAV files in some
directory to FLAC files.
Now I noticed sometimes the output of the tool is mostly like this:

flac -V --best "14 The Hose - Time Warp (Old Skull Mix).wav"

flac 1.1.4, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007  Josh
Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for
details.

14 The Hose - Time Warp (Old Skull Mix).wav: 100% complete, ratio=0,61814
The Ho
se - Time Warp (Old Skull Mix).wav: WARNING: skipping unknown sub-chunk
'LIST'
14 The Hose - Time Warp (Old Skull Mix).wav: Verify OK, wrote 37142516
bytes, ra
tio=0,617

But, sometimes the output is flooding the whole screen and it repeats again
and again printing the same line but just printing another % of completion,
like this:

flac -V --best "12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug '
n' play club edit).wav"

flac 1.1.4, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007  Josh
Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  Type `flac' for
details.

12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
0% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
1% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
1% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
2% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
2% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
3% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
3% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
4% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
4% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
5% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
5% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
6% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
6% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
6% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
7% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
7% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
8% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
8% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
9% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
9% c
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
10%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
10%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
11%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
11%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
12%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
12%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
12%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
13%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
13%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
14%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
14%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
15%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
15%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
16%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
16%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
17%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
17%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
18%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
18%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
18%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
19%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
19%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
20%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
20%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
21%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
21%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
22%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
22%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
23%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
23%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
24%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
24%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
24%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
25%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
25%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
26%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
26%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
27%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
27%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
28%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
28%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
29%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
29%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
30%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
30%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
30%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
31%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
31%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
32%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
32%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
33%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
33%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
34%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
34%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
35%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
35%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
36%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
36%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
36%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
37%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
37%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
38%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
38%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
39%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
39%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
40%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
40%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
41%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
41%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
41%
12 Mario Lopez vs Red Sector - Into my Brain (Plug 'n' play club edit).wav:
42%

I was wondering why the output of the command line tool FLAC sometimes
prints the same line again and again and sometimes it does not? What is the
reason for this?
I wanted to let the tool encode a whole directory of files and afterwards
manually check the "verify OK" status for each file.
But however, when the tool floods the whole screen on some files (like the
example above), in Microsoft Windows you can't scroll to the beginning of
the output anymore in a command prompt window so you can't see the output of
previous files.
Maybe somebody has a solution for this? I don't want to use cygwin.

I also tried this statement to write the output to a file:

for %1 in (*.wav) do flac -V --best "%1" > output.txt

but it seems this doesn't work and the file output.txt stays empty :(

thanks in advance!