[Flac] Room for safe opaque blocks in flac streams? Looking to add error correction to flac.

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Sun Apr 1 20:10:13 PDT 2007

Gregory,

You might want to move your question over to the Flac-dev mailing list.

A FLAC stream allows for additional metadata, including custom data
which decoders will skip.  However, metadata must come before the
audio data, and thus you cannot append it to the end.  You also won't
be able to interleave redundancy data with the main data, and it
seems to me like interleaving the data somewhat near it's
counterparts would make more sense.

The ultimate redundancy technique that I follow is to use flac to cut
the size in half, and then burn two copies of each FLAC file to my CD-
R or DVD-R backup.  I'm primarily worried about scratches on the
disc, so saving each file twice seems to reduce the likelihood of
data loss.  Not to mention the fact that CD/DVD already have data
redundancy techniques at two different levels of coding.  I don't
really feel like there is much need for more than that.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting