[Flac] FLAC: track and album gain?

Harry Sack tranzedude at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:12:21 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm a FLAC beginner and I had a question about the meaning of track and
album gain. I think it's a stupid question, but hey, I must learn it
somewhere ;)

So I wanted to know what track and album gain means. I use winamp for
playing my encoded FLAC files and when I look at the properties of a FLAC
file I can see this:

track gain: not present
album gain: not present

So I was wondering what those 2 things mean (track gain and album gain), how
they can be enabled and what effect they have on the music when I encode it
using track and album gain. I'm a beginner so please explain in not too
technical terms.

thanks in advance!