[Flac] FLAC CD Archive

Dan Phillips dwp at rushpost.com
Tue Sep 26 13:06:30 PDT 2006

I see that this was the right place to fire off this question. Thanks
for your feedback. It has given me a base to start some trials. I used
to use EAC on Windows, but I tend to only use open source software as
much as possible and I don't use Windows any more. I gave a brief look
at abcde, but it is clear I need to look at this some more. It looks
like it has the potential to do everything I would need, including
encoding to 2 formats at the same time, FLAC to archive or play and ogg
or mp3 for the players.

With regards the toc problem not compensating for starting from track
0,  is it possible to use the cdrtoa -t or -T options to compensate for
the shift. I am not sure I fully understand the option, but I came
across it and thought I would mention it.

The method I was using was this one I found through google - all in one
file like this:
cdrdao read-cd --with-cddb --datafile album.bin album.toc
cueconvert album.toc album.cue
flac --endian=big --sign=signed --channels=2 --bps=16
--sample-rate=44100 --cuesheet=album.cue album.bin

Works going there, but not sure about getting back.

I guess right now I need to go and try both methods. If I can help with
abcde I will, but I have the programming skills of a monkey (and a
monkey without a decent education at that).

Just some questions:
Dax, this looks good. You are getting an accurate copy of the cd with
this method, track 0 and all?
Is cdrdao as good as cdparanoia at ripping?
Does anyone know what players (Linux OS or portable)support playing of a
single album FLAC file ?

cheers