[Flac] Flac metadata at end?

Nicholas Wilson nicholas.c.wilson at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 20 12:29:08 PDT 2006

Flac is great, but I have some questions about the way the metadata is stored.
It takes an age to retag the file because all the data has to be shuffled
around the disk.  For most formats (ogg, mp3) the filesize is small, but I
was thinking, why not have the metadata at the end of the file?

This would not really be a problem for streaming, since you just read out the
metadata from the end first, the hop back to the beginning, and you could
differentiate the two systems with some identifier, like starting the file
with fLAC instead of fLaC, so that old decoders just reject the new format,
but new ones know to read the last 4B (int) to find the offset for where to
find the data. It then jumps back to the beginning.  Conversion between the
formats is no problem.  Am I totally overreacting, or do I have some
justification?  It takes about 5 mins to change some track data for a cd,
even encoded at best.  This is really not very user friendly, and going
through and adding lots of padding to the batch of cds I just ripped, then
adding the data, then removing all the padding is a bit cumbersome.

Nick