[Flac] convert metaflac tags to utf-8?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at sandeen.net
Sat Feb 25 08:35:20 PST 2006

Hi, I realize that this is not strictly flac-related, but...

I've got my collection in flac now, and at the end of the endeavor, I
realized that (I think...) I've managed to have a few different
encodings in the tags, one way or another.

For instance:
[root at localhost Zen Arcade]# metaflac --list 01-Something\ I\ Learned\
Today.flac > 1
[root at localhost Zen Arcade]# metaflac --no-utf8-convert --list
01-Something\ I\ Learned\ Today.flac > 1.no
[root at localhost Zen Arcade]# file 1 1.no
1:    ASCII text
1.no: ISO-8859 text
[root at localhost Zen Arcade]# cat 1 1.no | grep -i artist
     comment[0]: ARTIST=H#sker D#
     comment[0]: ARTIST=H?sker D?

so I've done something wrong here I think :)

Is there an existing tool to go through & convert all my flac tags to
UTF-8 (and then I will probably manually fix up the few files such as
the above...)  If such a thing does not exist, any suggestions for
writing one?

Thanks,

-Eric (who really groks nothing about character encoding....)