[Flac] Problems with gain

Sun Feb 19 10:08:20 PST 2006

Hello.

I have a problem here with replay gain. I use it to be able to hear all
my music without any difference in volume. But it seems that all players
I use ignore the gain value stored in my flac files. All flacs are
louder than the gained mp3s I have.

$ metaflac --show-tag=REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN <some>.flac
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN=-9.96 dB
$ metaflac --show-tag=REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN <some>.flac
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=-9.96 dB

The flacs are always louder played as the mp3s and this happens with all
players I have: mplayer, amarok (using either gestreamer or xine engine)
and even with mpg123 and flac123.

The mp3s are simply gained with mp3gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net):

$ mp3gain -r <some>.mp3

What can I do about that?

Regards,

Martin Wegner

--
Get my public GPG key from pgp.mit.edu or wwwkeys.pgp.net
Key ID: 0x44085D12