[Flac] Rather serious flac problem

Free Lunch freelunch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:26:42 PDT 2005

Hi Kerry,

On 9/16/05, Kerry Hoath <kerry at gotss.net> wrote:
> There is no standard for wav64 and a .wav in its standard form can only hold
> 2gb of data.

In this case the WAV files were less than 2 GB.

> libsndfile can handle larger .wav files and so can other audio applications
> but usually nonstandard subchunk data means that the wav reader in flac
> can't understand the file.

This was simply a recording which was terminated before completion so
the final size of the WAV was not written in the header.

That is not an uncommon event during content creation.  When reading a
WAV, many programs check the file size against the header and will ask
whether to use or ignore the header info.  While that sort of
interaction may not be desireable wihtin flac, I think the default
behavior could be more robust (even if it just exits with an error).

> Many audio programs put comments and all sorts of other metadata in .wav
> files.

Yes but not in this case.

> I agree flac should probably copy unknown subchunks uncompressed to the
> output stream but i'm not sure how doable this would be given the current
> flac decoders and the like.
> it is also probably a good idea to test the exit status of *all* envokations
> of flac to catch warnings since I assume a warning returns a non-zero error
> code but I am not totally sure of this.

Unfortunately, the return code in this case is 0.  So as a bug, it is
very serious.

Regards,

  Brian