[Flac] Re: Something's driving me crazy

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Fri Sep 16 00:34:49 PDT 2005

Stefano,

Perhaps "someone" used the --no-padding option, which saves quite a bit of
space.  I use it all the time, even though it is not exactly recommended.

FLAC is guaranteed to give you back the original uncompressed audio data every
time, but there is no guarantee that the compressed data will be the same (so
long as it can be decoded).

Brian

Begin forwarded message:

I decode and then re-encode a FLAC file someone sent to me, and I get a
different file (about 3K
larger).

I have used:
 - the same version of FLAC.EXE (hash-checked) used to create the original FLAC file
 - the same level of compression
 - no tag infos were included in the original FLAC file

I can't really figure out how could it be possible, but sometimes it happens
(of course many times I get exactly the same 'binary' file).

Any idea?

Thank you very much for attention.

All the best.
Stefano