[Flac] Tagging Flac-files in GNU/Linux and Windows

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 14:47:22 PST 2005

--- "Oskar L." <oskar at rbgi.net> wrote:
> I am having a lot of problems with tagging FLAC-files. I edited the
> tags
> in XMMS (in Linux) using the FLAC plugin, version 1.1.o. Playback
> worked
> fine with that setup, but when I played the files on my other
> computer,
> again with XMMS, but with version 1.1.1 of the FLAC plugin, the ä and
> characters had changed to some strange characters (I don't remember
> exactly they were). I then tried editing the tags using the 1.1.1
> version,
> but it could not save the ä an ö characters, it immediately changed
> them
> to those strange charachters. I then tried Easytag 1.0, in that the ä
> and
> ö characters just disappeared, and were not replaced by anything. In
> Easytag 1.9 tagging worked, and with that I mean it could read what
> it had
> written itself, just like the 1.1.0 version of the XMMS plugin. But
> tags
> written by Easytag 1.9 were not displayed correctly in using the
> 1.1.0 or
> 1.1.1 FLAC plgin. Then I booted Windows and tried editing the tags in
> Winamp, witch worked, but the tags written were not displayed
> correctly in
> XMMS. Easytag 1.0 could not read the tags written by Winamp, but
> version
> 1.9 could.
>
> This is all very confusing. I don't know what the problem is. As I
> have
> understood the tags are saved in UTF-8, so characters like ä and ö
> can be
> used in the tags. Witch of those programms are writing the tags
> incorrectly? Or can the tags be in different formats (I would not
> think so
> if they should be in UTF-8)? Or perhaps the problem is not in the
> programs
> writing the tags incorrectly, but reading them the wrong way?

this is hard to debug remotely.  tags are stored internally in
utf-8 but there are many possible places between a tagger
interface and libFLAC where things can go wrong.  one known
problem is that flac/metaflac use set_locale to try and match
the user's locale so that tags coming in on the command line
will be converted correctly, but I don't know if that works
on windows.

> And then another question; when encoding from the command line, is
> there
> any way to set the name of the file to be the TITLE tag (in GNU/Linux
> or
> Winows)? I remember using some program (CDex?), in witch you could
> write
> something like %1 in the title-field, and it would then encode the
> file
> (Ogg Vorbis), writing the filename as the title. Is that possible
> from the
> command line with FLAC?

no.  this is probably a job best left to a tagging program.

Josh