[Flac] players understand single-cd flac?

Moz list at moz.geek.nz
Mon Jun 20 14:52:13 PDT 2005

Stephen Kennedy said:
> It seems like single file flac with embedded cuesheet is
> a pretty good solution to archiving a cd collection and
> avoids issues with track gaps etc.

What I've been seeing online is 1 song per flac with a cue sheet that
corrects for the gaps between tracks (which is dependent on the drive
you're ripping with). Reassembling the CD from those is easy enough.

For me, the whole benefit is that I can rip to flac, scan the artwork
(etc) and get rid of the CD. But then, I just paid to ship 30kgs of
cds (excluding jewel cases) internationally so maybe I'm a bit
sensitive to the cost of embodied bits...

> What's the situation with player support for these files?
> It seems that most players I've seen assume 1 file == 1 song.

I suspect awful. I've been trying to construct one for my Phantom of
the Opera CDs (the original ones, one track per CD) and have not yet
succeeded. Hence my interest in download sites... getting a rip of the
later version with tracks would be quite useful.

Moz