[Flac] The CDex and Flac saga continues

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Wed Aug 10 17:23:23 PDT 2005

Hello all,

I seem to be in a bit of a bind. Below is the email which I sent to the
list a while back. I wrote the vast majority of my CD collection to Flac
and checked them with the Flac test (the -t option of Flac), they played
fine and all seemed wonderful.

Sadly life is no longer roses and chocolates. Now as I come to rip the
whole lot to Vorbis files, Oggenc is spewing an error that the files are
'not a supported format'. As the flacs which I have produced since
moving to Ubuntu (with sound juicer) seem to work, I am starting to
worry that all the files which I made from CDex are going to give me
grief. Any ideas? Suggestions? Some magical something which someone can
offer me to fix up whatever is wrong with my many Flac files??? Can I
run some script to decode the flacs to wav and back again without losing
the tags? Flac seems to think that they are fine, so I don't understand
why Oggenc isn't happy.

It will be a rather major effort for me to redo the whole lot...

Thanks again
Aaron

Aaron Whitehouse wrote:
> I am using CDex to encode my music into Flac. I am using the latest
> version of Flac (with the frontend etc.) and sending the rips to it as
> an 'external encoder' with the string:
> -8 -o %2 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%b" -T "date=%y" -T
> "tracknumber=%tn" -T "genre=%g" -
>
> However, I am getting the below output/error with every file.
> I assume that it is because I am sending Flac the incorrect file size or
> track length but I do not know what to change in the string to correct
> it. The flac files produced seem to work fine, but I would like to get
> rid of the error if I can.

> -:2% complete, ratio=0.667-: WARNING: unexpected EOF; expected 536870902
> samples, got 12828672 samples
> -: ERROR during read of data pad byte
>
> -: 2% complete, ratio=0.664

<snip>