[Flac] Archiving CDs w/ Flac on Linux (and subsequent re-encoding)

Curt Sampson cjs at cynic.net
Mon Sep 13 10:03:52 PDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Well given that I fed cdrdao the toc file that it originally extracted,
> they should be, right?  Do you mean check that the cue points fall at
> the exact same spot in the performace, I guess?

Yes.

> As far as I can tell, they do, although not sure how to check that
> exactly...

Just listen, and watch the counter on the CD-player. It may help to
count beats and bars, otherwise you can just look for a significant
audio event very near the change-over point (to negative time or at
0:00). I suspect it would be, with any significant lead-ins, a good two
or three seconds out if it was wrong, so it ought not be too hard to
check.

> regarding cd-text, none of my cds had it in the first place, so I can't
> say for sure.  :)

Hmm. That would be my bigger worry. I wonder if you just read the TOC
with cdrdao if you even get CD-Text in the generated TOC file, since
that information is actually in the subcode.

It would also be interesting to look at copy-protected CDs where the
subcode timing/track information is different from the TOC.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs at cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
     Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA