[Flac] Archiving CDs w/ Flac on Linux (and subsequent re-encoding)

Eric Sandeen sandeen at sandeen.net
Sun Sep 12 15:30:07 PDT 2004

Josh Coalson wrote:

> --- Eric Sandeen <sandeen at sandeen.net> wrote:
>
>>1) how to generate a cue sheet to store in the flac file (on linux?)
>>    I've seen cddb2cue, is this a decent way?  or cdrdao can generate
>>    a toc file, then convert that to a cue sheet....
>

> I think whatever provides cdrdao also provides toc2cue which
> will convert.  one of the flac TODOs is to take cdrdao toc files
> as input.

cuetools looks good, too.... guessing toc parsing might not be so bad to
implement either, though.

>>2) after I've got a full-CD flac file with a cue sheet and seek
>>points,
>>    how to re-encode this track-by-track, to ogg or mp3?  I don't see
>>    any command-line flac decoder that can say "play from seek point
>>    3 to seek point 4"... looks like the flac executable itself can
>>only
>>    seek based on nr of samples, or hh:mm:ss?
>

> the upcoming flac 1.1.1 release has a new option called --cue, e.g.
>
> $ flac -d --cue 4 -c file.flac | lame ...
>
> will pipe track 4 to stdout.

cool!

OTOH I've already started archiving with 1 track per flac file; I don't
suppose I lose anything by this, if I keep the toc file around I can use
the decoded flac files to recreate a cd that way too.

Also, not sure there's a good way to put all track name information into
a single flac file of a CD?

Thanks,

-Eric